Monday, January 9, 2012

Jan. 9th - screen repair

Where we live it gets VERY windy most of the winter months. Last winter our screen door flew off and landed on some toys ripping a big old hole in it. It's the perfect size for flies to find their way in and join our family. After a year of it driving me nuts I decided to make it my quick project of the day. Here is our nice hole before. It is about 9 x 9 inches.


I cut the hole into a square using a pair of scissors so I had a clean edge to work with. 
I took a regular needle and thread and a piece of screen we had in the garage cut to cover the hole. 
I started in the corner and made a knot. I sewed in a zig zag around the edge. When it got to the point that I couldn't get the needle in and out on the other side by myself I enlisted the 6 year old to help. He was of course thrilled because he got to sew!
We sewed around the edge until we got to where we started. I tied a knot and we were done. It looks a little funny because it's an obvious patch but no flies are coming in and it is less of an eye sore vs. the starting picture. 10 minutes and it was free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment